So you’re a boarding or day school and you’re thinking about adding a virtual tour to your marketing toolbox. Good idea!
A virtual tour is great because . . .
- The web is first point of access for most businesses and may be for your potential students and their families, or future employees, trustees or partners
- You need to get your school on a prospective student’s “A list” so they are inspired to come and see the campus in person
- Your school has likely spent a lot of money, time and effort on the campus and its facilities – you can convey this online with a campus tour
- You can reach international students who may not be able to visit before making a decision
- You can use the tour in recruiting events for students or staff, as well as in fundraising efforts
What are the different forms a tour can take and what are the pros and cons of each?
|Web page with pictures and text/photo gallery||
|Campus map with links to still images/captions||
|360-degree virtual tour||
Questions to ask yourself when planning for your virtual campus tour:
- What is your budget?
- How will you use it?
- Only online or will you use it at school fairs, presentations, admissions people on the road?
- Do you want it embedded in your website or as a separate module?
- Do you want to have students/people in the shot or no people in the shot?
- Do you want people to be able to see it on smart phones and tablets?
- Do you want it to be linear and controlled like a video or self directed and explorable where people can pick and choose where they want to go?
- How much of your campus do you want to show?
- Who is your audience for the tour?
- Students interesting in your Athletics or other specific programs? Internationals? Donors?
- Do you need your tour localized into multiple languages?
- Do you want your tour to be focused in on key areas of recruitment – so would need multiple tours or a tour with different segments?
- Does the city that you are in play any kind of a role?
- Do you want to show scenes from the city or highlight things to do off campus?
If you decide to go with a Circlescapes 360 virtual tour – we also ask:
- How many locations on campus you want to feature?
- What additional options do you want?
- informational hotspots
- text (different from text descriptions that come standard with Deluxe/Premium)
- combo text and image
- external link
- directional hotspots
- audio hotspot
- sound effect
- voice blurb
- video hotspot (best when out on YouTube, Vimeo)
- voice over narration
- sharing – social media hotspot or feature
- informational hotspots
- What navigational constructs do you want?
- campus map
- thumbnail images
- forward and backward buttons